Manaiakalani Hui

Today I attended the 5th annual Manaiakalani Hui, which was a thoroughly enjoyable and informative experience.

My (mini) live sketch note
One of the highlights of the day was watching a student representative from each school present a piece of their learning. These presentations illustrated the various ways in which Manaiakalani students learn, create and share. There were presentations on a variety of curriculum areas and topics, although I think watching one of my own learners was most special to me. I felt incredibly proud to watch my student represent our school and share his learning.


Using Twitter to share our learning #Manaiakalani

It was also a pleasure to hear about the research that the MIT's (Manaiakalani Innovative Teachers) are conducting. A few of these teachers are researching about student achievement in writing, which I really enjoyed as I have been looking into writing for my University study.



Research was presented from both Woolf Fisher and Rachel Williamson. Rachel discussed the Summer and Winter blogging programmes and their affect on student achievement; namely, they cause a reduction in summer drop off. I created a Sketchnote of Rachel's presentation at a previous conference, but I was excited to hear that the Summer Blogging Challenge will be extended to run for four weeks in 2016/2017. 

Woolf Fisher presented their findings regarding our data. They reaffirmed that we need to work on our summer drop off, but they also discussed critical literacy. 

I found the kōrero by Pat Sneddon, Dorothy and Russell Burt the most inspiring however. Pat and Dorothy discussed the results that the cluster are achieving and reiterated that we are a driving force for change.  Russell posed "If we know something works, we have no excuse not to do it". This provoked a lot of discussion between educators and our School discussed our commitment to the initiative.  We will ensure that we are following the research to do right by our tamariki.

Comments

  1. Your Levi has been an anchor of the Ambassador team this year Danni. I am so pleased he will have the opportunity to repeat on Monday at the Google Road Show. Thanks for this reflection on the day and for sharing your sketch note . Lots of gems captured succinctly there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy! He has had so many opportunities due to being an ambassador and it has been wonderful to watch his confidence grow over the year.

      Delete
  2. You have given a good summary of the day, Danni. It will be useful for all staff to read as a link into a full staff discussion of the ideas. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really enjoyed the day and look forward to discussing the Hui at school.

      Delete
  3. Love the sketchnote Danni! Isn't it so much harder live than summative? Go you! Look forward to seeing how some of your ideas develop from the day. Thanks for retweeting and sharing my tweet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely harder! I loved your tweet; you have become quite the regular on Twitter.

      Delete
    2. I have found the value of it for sure, in such a short space of time I have learnt so much! Watch this space...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unpacking Our Reading Journey

Inquiry 2018

Finally Finished!